The solar street lights (SSLs) are being installed in States and UTs under various Central and States Government Schemes. The Ministry of New & Renewable Energy (MNRE) is implementing the following schemes for installation of Solar Street Lights in the country.
- Off-grid and Decentralised Solar PV Applications Programme: Phase-II and Phase-III
- Atal Jyoti Yojana (AJAY) Scheme: Phase-I and Phase-II
Under Off-grid and Decentralised Solar PV Applications Programme of MNRE, solar street lights are allocated to various States/UTs based on their demand and capacity available under the scheme. Under this Programme Central Financial Assistance is made available up to 30% of the benchmark cost for General Category States and up to 90% of the benchmark cost for Special Category States.
Centralised tender through Energy Efficiency Services Limited (EESL), a Joint Venture of PSUs under the Ministry of Power, has been called for selection of vendors for supply and installation of SSLs for Phase-III of the Programme as per the specifications approved by MNRE. The installation of SSLs in the villages at the State level will be supervised by the respective State Nodal Agencies being Implementing Agencies.
In the Phase-II of the Programme, the tender for supply and installation of SSLs were called and finalised by the respective State Nodal Agencies, which are also the supervising and Implementing Agencies.
Atal Jyoti Yojana (AJAY) Phase-I & Phase-II are also being implemented by EESL. The Phase-I Scheme was implemented in the States of Assam, Bihar, Jharkhand, Odisha and Uttar Pradesh and had provision for installation of up to 2000 SSLs in each Parliamentary Constituency of these States. Under the Phase-I Scheme, 75% cost of the SSLs was provided by MNRE and balance 25% was met from concerned Member of Parliament’s MP Local Area Development Scheme (MPLADS) Fund.
Centralised tendering was done by EESL for selection of vendors for supply and installation of Solar Street Lights and the SSLs were installed on receipt of consent and village list from Hon’ble Member of Parliament from concerned Parliamentary Constituency and sanction letter under MPLADS Fund from the concerned District Administration.
Under Phase-II of Atal Jyoti Yojana, the procedure adopted is the same as in Phase-I. However Phase-II is being implemented in Parliamentary Constituencies of following States/UTs:
- States of Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Jharkhand, Odisha and Assam, which were covered in Phase-I of the Scheme as there is additional demand in these States.
- Hilly States of Jammu & Kashmir, Himachal Pradesh and Uttarakhand.
- North Eastern States including Sikkim.
- Islands of Andaman & Nicobar and Lakshadweep.
- Parliamentary constituencies covering 48 aspirational districts of States other than those covered in (i) to (iv) above.