The erstwhile UPSEB was unbundled into three separate entities through the UP Reforms Transfer Scheme, 2000.
- Uttar Pradesh Power Corporation Limited (UPPCL) for transmission and distribution within the State
- Uttar Pradesh Rajya Vidyut Utpadan Nigam Limited (UPRVUNL) for thermal generation
- Uttar Pradesh Jal Vidyut Nigam Limited (UPJVNL) for hydro generation
After the enactment of the Electricity Act, 2003, four new distribution companies were created, through the Uttar Pradesh Transfer of Distribution Undertaking Scheme, 2003:
- Dakshinanchal Vidyut Vitran Nigam Limited (Agra discom, or DVVNL)
- Madhyanchal Vidyut Vitran Nigam Limited (Lucknow discom, or MVVNL)
- Paschimanchal Vidyut Vitran Nigam Limited (Meerut discom, or PVVNL)
- Purvanchal Vidyut Vitran Nigam Limited (Varanasi discom, or PuVVNL)
Kanpur Electricity Supply Company (KESCO) is another state-owned distribution licensee responsible for distribution and supply of electricity in Kanpur city.
Noida Power Company Limited (NPCL) is a private distribution utility, supplying electricity in the Greater Noida area.