Tarapur Atomic Power Station (TAPS) is located in Tarapur, Palghar, in Maharashtra. It is the first commercial nuclear power station built in India. It was constructed in 1969 initially with two boiling water reactor (BWR) of 160 MW each. Additional two pressurised heavy water reactor (PHWR) units of 540 MW each were constructed in 2006.
Capacity: 1400 MW
|Unit||Reactor Type||Capacity (MWe)||Date of Commercial Operation|
|1||Boiling Water Reactor (BWR)||160||October 28, 1969|
|2||Boiling Water Reactor (BWR)||160||October 28, 1969|
|3||Pressurised Heavy Water Reactor (PHWR)||540||August 18, 2006|
|4||Pressurised Heavy Water Reactor (PHWR)||540||September 12, 2005|
TAPS - 1 & 2 uses imported fuel and electricity generated by it is allocated exclusively to the states of Maharashtra and Gujarat. TAPS - 3 & 4 uses indigenous fuel and electricity generated by these units is allocated to all the beneficiary states and Union Territories of the Western Electricity Region by the Ministry of Power.